Thursday, April 3, 2014

Kent State Tragedy



The photo that I chose to use was of the Kent State Shootings on May 4, 1970. University students held a protest of the United States involvement in the Vietnam War. Ohio National Guard fired 67 rounds over 13 seconds into a group of unarmed students, killing four, and wounding nine others. John Paul Filo, a university student at the time, shot the photo that became the face of the tragedy. During a CNN interview on the 40th anniversary Filo recalls the events of that day,
           
            “The bullets were supposed to be blanks. When I put the camera back to my eye, I noticed a particular guardsman pointing at me. I said, "I'll get a picture of this," and his rifle went off. And almost simultaneously, as his rifle went off, a halo of dust came off a sculpture next to me, and the bullet lodged in a tree. I dropped my camera in the realization that it was live ammunition. I don't know what gave me the combination of innocence and stupidity... I started to flee--run down the hill and stopped myself. "Where are you going?" I said to myself, "This is why you are here!” and I started to take pictures again. ... I knew I was running out of film. I could see the emotion welling up inside of her. She began to sob. And it culminated in her saying an exclamation. I can't remember what she said exactly … something like, "Oh, my God!"
           
            The girl in the photograph was 14-year-old runaway Mary Ann Vecchio; the man that was shot was Jeffery Miller. One year after this photograph was taken, Filo was awarded with the Pulitzer Prize for breaking news photography.
            This photograph was one of the many important images to come from this era in US history. There were many photographs of the horrific events taking place in Vietnam but this was the first of its kind that brought the conflict to US soil. After this picture was published across the country there was a huge public outcry. Four million students from universities, colleges and high schools across the country participated in a student strike.
            Due to the growing technological capabilities of newspapers during this time this photo could be shared across the country to almost every major news outlet, in a very fast manor. Had this been taken 50 or so years earlier it would have take a very long time for it to be seen by the nation.One interesting fact about this picture is that an anonymous editor at one of the news outlets edited the fence pole out from behind Vecchio’s head and the edited image was used by several prominent publications without knowing.
            In Filo’s interview he discusses his fear of having his film confiscated in order to “white wash” the situation.                                                                                                            
            “I didn't know where to go .. I sort of did but ... all my roommates who were photographers ended up stringing for various news organizations based on the events of Friday and Saturday. Since I was out of town, I was committed to no one, and I had been working as a photographer since high school as a vacation and holiday replacement in Tarentum, Pennsylvania, and I elected to drive there with the film. It was about a two hour and twenty minute drive, and I called the paper to let them know I was coming back.             
On the technical aspect, we processed the lesser role to make sure the chemistry was correct and then developed the Mary Vecchio role. That was the first picture we scheduled on the AP network.                                                                                                 The reason I had to get the pictures out was that the initial radio reports, while the students were camped in front of the guardsman, said that two guardsmen and two students were killed in a shootout at Kent State. And those incorrect reports stayed for a number of hours -- at least enough to convince me that this was going to be whitewashed. So I had to get my pictures out.”
            Reading these excerpts from his interview really gives you a look into what was happing during this time and how many students feared the government. It leaves you wondering how many times something like this has happen, and what important images have been destroyed to keep the grisly details out of the public eye.                                                                                                                      




References:
            http://www.cnn.com/COMMUNITY/transcripts/2000/5/4/filo/

No comments:

Post a Comment